Thursday, October 18, 2007

La greve! Getting lost! My host dad being incredibly musically gifted as well as generous.

Ok, so as some of you may have read in the newspaper, the entire French train and public transportation system shut down today for a strike against the new government, which has only been in office for about 5 months. This is seriously what the French do best. They protest to get what they want. Every french person knew exactly how to deal with it, because there is (as I've heard) at least one major strike each year. Last night around midnight I heard people from my window shouting out in the street about the strike, and at 6:30am I began to hear the morning rush hour traffic outside with their beeping horns and angry yells. Tons of people take the metro, so there was no doubt that there would be more car traffic than normal, and there was. I had to walk to class, but luckily my grammar teacher canceled our 9:30am class, so I only had one at 2pm. I really wanted to make an effort to get out early and walk around so that I'd have enough time to make it to class. I left my house at 10:45 in the morning and didn't make it to the Center until 1:15-1:30. Mind you I got a tad lost and I stopped to get a sandwich for lunch, but it still took a ridiculously long time to walk to the Center. Additionally, I was able to see a lot of beautiful buildings and walk along the Seine for most of the walk, so that made it enjoyable. Plus the weather couldn't have been more agreeable: sunny, clear skies, and just a little chilly. Coming back, however, me and two of my friends got a little lost because it was getting dark, and the streets are confusing, but we made it home after taking at 30 minute "detour" in the wrong direction. Paris is beautiful all lit up at night, though.

Deuxieme chose. In the past 24 hours I have watched 3 long, and politically and emotionally charged movies. The first was "The Battle of Algiers" which was made in 1966 about Algeria's revolt against french colonization. The french took over Algeria sometime in the mid 1800s, and then right after WWII, the Front Liberation Nationale was secretly created in Algeria to counter french colonization. It was a bloody bloddy war, which began in the early 1950s and didn't end until Algeria's independence in 1962. The movie was banned from being shown anywhere in France until very recently (not even a few years), and even then it was a huge controversy. This is a huge part of french history that a lot of french tend to "forget." I told my host mom that I had watched it and she had never heard of it, and she's a very educated and cultured woman. You all must see it. The second movie I borrowed from my host family, and it was "Ghandi." I cried at the end. It is an awesome (but long, so brace yourselves) film and I highly recommend it to any that's interested. it made me question a lot of my beliefs and approaches that I take in life. Dad, I think you would like this movie a lot. And Ghandi. The third movie was called "Au Revoir les Enfants" (Goodbye, Children), and that was set during German occupation of France during WWII. It was set outside of paris at an all boys Catholic boarding school. It was centered around mainly 2 boys, one secretly jewish who is in hiding there, and another who is not jewish, but finds out that the other one is and ends up befriending him. I don't want to give a lot of it away, though, so I will just say that it is very good and that again, you should all see it.
Finalement. My host dad, (as well as all of their children) plays the piano. As I walked into the house this evening, I hear these beautiful sounds emanating from the salon, and I ask Guyonne (one of their daughters) who is playing the piano. She said it was her dad and I told her that I thought it was really lovely. I asked if she knew the song, and she didn't, so we went and asked him. He was playing songs from the opera "La Forza del Destino" by Giuseppe Verdi. I want to play the piano like him. It was astoundingly wonderful, and he just said "oh no, I am not that good right now because I don't know the music well." Yes you do!!! I really appreciate that they all play the piano and I get to listen to them play. He also offered that I borrow the CD of the opera so that I can put it on my computer, and read the english translation of the play. What a gem. I feel a bit "uncultured" though when they ask if I play the piano, and I say no. But I think I won points by telling him that both of my parents went to music school, and that I took singing lessons for a while at school (at Oberlin through the conservatory). Now Guyonne wants to hear me sing. She seemed pretty adamant about it, so I don't doubt she'll ask me in the future. That's ok, though, because I like to sing. Anywhoo...I need to do some homework. Talk to you all later!

6 comments:

mom said...

Holy mackeral, you live an exciting life in Europe. I want to be you! Glad that you didn't get too lost and that you were with people. Smart, very smart. I too feel that we have somehow not educated the entire person with not providing piano lessons. I have always wanted to play, but we still have time. Lessons can start at any age. Never stop learning! The movies sound very heavy and thoughtful. Might be good on an extended school break. Love your blog, I am living vicariously through your adventures. Love you.

Unknown said...

well i have lived vicariously through all of the zanni children (sorry to call you that) for many years, since i can't sing and have only a tiny bit of athletic talent. so you can imagine how exciting your semester abroad is for me! i have the eiffel tower up as desktop wallpaper and every time anyone asks about it, i launch into my story about you being there and all. i am sure the folks who sit near me dread it when someone asks, but who cares, right? i have fun talking about you being there! i agree with your mom, it's very smart for you to be walking around with other people. you do know if the tribe goes to and wins the world series, then we are going to make you go back to france next year at this time so we can recreate this playoff series? ok, maybe you'll just have to create a blog next fall. we'd rather have you stateside even tho you'd rather be across the pond.

Unknown said...

know what? i never check these things for spelling or typos. so far i've been lucky. lofton on base. yay. go kenny.

kenny lofton for president. of the world!

mzanni said...

I am relly glad that both of you like to live vicariously through me. And why be sorry to call me a Zanni child? That is who i am.... I am still incredibly excited for the Indians. I may keep this blog running when I get back to school because I kind of enjoy posting in it. YAY KENNY!!!! I am so thrilled he's back. He should be the president of the world. President K-Loft. (is that what Grady introduced him as the other night?)
p.s. aunt jenni, if you're worried about typos, you should download Mozilla Firefox. It's like Internet Explorer, just a little different. Plus, anywhere you type anything, it does spell check. It's really helpful!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle,
I just figured out how to read the rest of your blog(yes, I teach, but only 4th graders, LOL)so I just read all about your adventures. I am enjoying reading and imaging all that you are describing. Wishing, I were there too. And, at the same time absolutely thrilled for you to have these amazing experiences!
I would probably feel the same as you at first, being in someone elses home. However, the family sounds wonderful and as I just read all of your blog at once, I can say you sound as if you are adjusting nicely and feeling more at ease. Well, just wanted to say thanks for the posts and sharing your experiences, as I may never have had the chance to hear about them otherwise. Have fun and be safe!
Pam
p.s. I love your quotes! Are you a Tolstoy fan?

mzanni said...

hey pam! I JUST noticed that you commented on my blog! Thank you for reading it and I am really glad that you enjoy it. As for the quotes, I am totally a Tolstoy fan! Funny you should day that, because "War and Peace" is going to be on french television tuesday, so I am planning on watching the entire thing because I am still emotionally attached to that book. I will update more often so that you can stay up to date. Hope everything is going well!