Monday, December 17, 2007

A short blurb about Normandy

I tend to be long winded, and since I have several finals to finish I will make this post short:
fyi: We were in the city of Caen.

I went to Normandy yesterday with a friend of mine in the hope of seeing Juno Beach and the Memorial. Well, things unfortunately didn't go as planned.
-We got there around 11am, but didn't know where to go from there due to poor planning on out part.
-We wanted to figure out the bus system to get to the Memorial or the Beaches, BUT alas, it was a Sunday, so the bus system does not run like it does during the week. Bad thing numero 2.
-Got lunch - CHEAP because it's not Paris
-Finally figured out the bus system after asking various people and after seeing the Museum of Normandie which had absolutely nothing about WWII.
-Got on a bus to Deauville at 3:10.
-arrived at a beach at 4:00pm. Sadly, not Juno beach, that bus was leaving too late for us to see it and then come back to catch our train home.
-took pictures, got sand in my shoe, felt the really cold ocean, got some rocks, then proceeded to catch our train back.
-on the way, we saw a little monument to the british soldiers who landed there.
-I'm sorry, dad, that I didn't plan it better so that I could see the beaches. I know you wanted me to do that I feel really bad that I didn't get to do it. You should take me there on a C-130.

That's all for now. I have to finish a final and pack. Holy crap time is going by fast.
A bientot...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't feel badly. You tried to get there. That's what counts.

You've done so much in such a short period of time. I cannot wait to see your pictures!

Anonymous said...

oops. My grammar is slipping...that should be, "You shouldn't feel bad."

mom said...

At least you got to go to Normandy, right? I am sure that you could feel the essence of Normandy...or could you? Dad will forgive you. He is a pretty decent kind of guy :)